The LSSICE applies to any type of file or device that is downloaded to a user’s terminal equipment in order to store data that can be updated and recovered by the entity responsible for its installation. A cookie is one of those widely used files that we will generically call cookies.
Cookies (in Spanish, cookies) are small text files sent to a browser from a web server to record user activity on a website so that this information can be retrieved later while browsing the different pages that are connected. to the server that installed them.
Cookies usually store technical information, personal preferences, content customization, usage statistics, links to social networks, access to user accounts, etc.
Types of cookies
Cookies are then classified based on a series of categories. However, it is necessary to keep in mind that the same cookie may be included in more than one category.
According to the entity that manages them
- Own cookies: These are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: These are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the editor, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies.
In the event that the cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself, but the information collected through them is managed by a third party, they are not considered own cookies.
Depending on the period of time they remain activated
Depending on the period of time they remain activated in the terminal equipment, we can distinguish:
- Session cookies: These are a type of cookies designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. They are usually used to store information that is only interesting to keep for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion (e.g. a list of products purchased).
- Persistent cookies: These are a type of cookie in which the data continues to be stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
According to its purpose
Depending on the purpose for which the data obtained through cookies is processed, we can distinguish between:
- Technical cookies: These are those that allow the user to navigate through a web page, platform or application and use the different options or services that exist there, such as, for example, controlling traffic and data communication, identifying the session, access restricted access parts, remember the elements that make up an order, carry out the purchase process of an order, make a request for registration or participation in an event, use security elements during navigation, store content for dissemination of videos or sound or share content through social networks.
- Personalization cookies: These are those that allow the user to access the service with some general characteristics predefined based on a series of criteria on the user’s terminal, such as the language, the type of browser through which the user accesses the service. , the locale from where you access the service, etc.
- Analysis cookies: These are those that allow the person responsible for them to monitor and analyze the behavior of the users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookies is used to measure the activity of the websites, applications or platforms and to prepare navigation profiles of the users of said sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements in based on the analysis of usage data made by users of the service.
- Advertising cookies: These are those that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the editor has included in a web page, application or platform from which the requested service is provided based on criteria. such as edited content or the frequency at which ads are shown.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: These are those that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the editor has included in a web page, application or platform from which the requested service is provided. These cookies store information on user behavior obtained through continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows the development of a specific profile to display advertising based on it.
How to disable cookies in major web browsers
What happens if cookies are not accepted
Rejecting cookies may prevent access to personalized content and services.